Prayer, not Platitudes

Thoughts and prayers.  It's a phrase most of us are sick of hearing.  Even people with strong faith can be tempted to say things like "you can shove those thoughts and prayers you-know-where."  If "thoughts and prayers" are meant as a platitude because you can't think of anything else to say or do, then I can see the temptation to think that they are useless and empty.

But what do we mean by prayer?  There's many different kinds of prayer.  Maybe we're used to thinking of prayer as being on your knees, asking God to do something for you.  That might be how we were taught to pray as children.  Now, though, it's time to realize that prayer means so much more.

Recently I was perusing my Book of Common Prayer, when I came across this section in the Catechism:
Q: What is prayer?
A: Prayer is responding to God, by thought and by deeds, with or without words.

Ultimately, prayer is a response to God.  That's why it can take so many forms.  You can walk a labyrinth, pray with beads, pray contemplatively, pray the scriptures, pray with icons, pray in worship.  But look more closely at that sentence: "by thought and by deeds."


To truly lift up others in prayer, to hold them in your mind and heart before God when they are experiencing fear and pain, is an act of love.  That kind of thought-prayer is no platitude.  Prayer by deeds can be even more powerful.  To be with someone in a moment of grief and hold their hand, to accompany someone to a doctor's appointment they are anxious about, to say "if you ever need to talk I'm here" and truly mean it, that is a prayer by deed.  When I go to Am Shalom temple this Friday evening to pray alongside the local Jewish community, who is feeling especially afraid in these times, that's an act of prayer not only by worship but by deed.  Showing up is praying by deed.  Voting is prayer by deed. 

Let's remember that "thoughts and prayers" are not wrong; empty platitudes are wrong.  To choose not to make room in your heart for others who are suffering, to simply say a stock phrase and move on to your day's agenda, is what's wrong.  I know it's hard to hold all that suffering.  There seems to be so much more of it than usual these days.  That's why we don't hold it alone.  We hold it before God and pray that God works through us to transform that suffering into love and hope.

Hear my cry, O God,
listen to my prayer;
from the end of the earth I call to you
when my heart is faint.
Lead me to the rock
that is higher than I,
for you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the enemy
-Psalm 61:1-3

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts