Dashboard Confessional

If you know me in person (which, I'm sure 99.9% of people reading this do), you know that I work with nuns.  I get a lot of people asking me "what's it like?"  So I thought I would dedicate an entry on my new blog to this subject.

People always seem to expect interesting stories from me because of my job.  I usually make a quip about being an "Uber for nuns", because the bulk of my job involves driving them to doctor's appointments or other places they need to go.  The truth is, I don't have a whole lot of funny anecdotes to share.  My life isn't like some combination of Sister Act and Driving Miss Daisy.  However, I have learned some important things from this job.  In fact, it's probably the most important job I have ever had.

Item #1: They practice what they preach.  These are some incredibly accomplished women.  My experience growing up in the Catholic church, unfortunately, was far too focused on the kind of issues that the "culture wars" are fought over, and less focused on things like helping the poor and oppressed.  So I was pleasantly surprised to see the kinds of issues that the Sisters of Notre Dame are dedicated to: immigration reform, clean water, human trafficking, just to name a few.  One of the biggest joys of my job is when I take someone on a trip, start up a conversation with them, and go from "lovely weather we're having" to "I spent 30 years in India and taught in Rome."  They're so modest about it too!  They are also very talented: just about every one of them is good at making or baking something.  Some are published authors, or artists, or make beautiful items from yarn or clay.  These are women who live out what they believe through their actions, which I admire them for SO much.  My priest, who is a former Roman Catholic herself, once said "If every Christian acted like nuns, we'd be living in the Kingdom of God right here and now!"  The kind of faith that they witness is the reason I went from not really believing in anything to wanting to become a priest.

Item #2:  Nuns are people too.  Which means, they aren't perfect.  Shocking, right?  I mean, it shouldn't be.  We all are imperfect.  We all get into arguments, get irritated with people close to us, make mistakes, act selfishly at times.  I guess I was a little surprised the first time I heard two sisters arguing with each other, but then I thought about it and realized, why?  They live in community with each other, and it's just like when I get annoyed with one of my family members.  It doesn't mean we don't love each other.  I think there's an expectation people have of those in religious life, that they are supposed to be holier than the rest of us.  I don't remember who said it, but there's a quote that goes: "A saint is just a sinner who keeps trying."  I think that applies to a lot of us, religious or not.

Working for the Sisters was the first time I ever felt like I had a job that was more than just a means to get paid.  It's a ministry.  Before I ever acknowledged it as such, before I ever even thought about going back to church, the Sisters would always be thanking me for my ministry.  At first I wanted to say "I don't have one!"  But I would feel this beautiful feeling inside when I realized I had made someone's day just by doing my job, by being present to them and listening to them, and helping them when they needed it.  And by the way, item #3: the Sisters are SO appreciative.  I used to work retail, and the difference is like night and day.  Where I work, the employees are always told how appreciated they are. 

That's about it, really.  I don't think my job would make a good sitcom, but I'd like to think it's made me a better person.  To close, I'll leave you with a quote I found from St. Augustine, which I think describes the Sisters really well.

"Pray as though everything depended on God.
Work as though everything depended on you."


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts