Prophetissa

"We cannot live in a world that is not our own, in a world that is interpreted for us by others.  An interpreted world is not home.  Part of the terror is to take back our own listening, to use our own voice, to see our own light."


Today is the feast day of St. Hildegard of Bingen.  This medieval mystic was an absolute genius, and centuries ahead of her time.  Two years ago on this day, I knew very little about her, but all that was about to change.  Because on this day in 2016, the Hildegarden opened its doors in Fairport Harbor.  The main reason why I was interested in this was due to the fact that the building that was now the Hildegarden was once my childhood church, St Michael's Byzantine Catholic parish.

The day I first stepped into the Hildegarden for "quiet time", I ended up having an illuminating conversation with the woman who envisioned it, Dr. Shanon Sterringer.  She was thrilled that I had found my way back to my childhood parish in this new form, and just as thrilled to hear about my spiritual journey since then.  I am always happy to see old buildings, especially old churches, re-purposed rather than torn down, so I was very happy to learn about the charism of St. Hildegard and Dr. Shanon's mission - to bring her light to the world through the kind of holistic spirituality she had practiced in Bingen in medieval Germany.  Which, you may be surprised to learn, is actually very fitting for today.

Hildegard was an abbess, a mystic, a composer, a scientist, an artist, and a healer.  You can read more about her amazing life here.  She was very much a product of the times in which she lived, and would not be considered a feminist by today's standards, but nevertheless she spoke her mind without fear and followed what the Spirit led her to do in spite of the male hierarchy's objections at times.  Dr. Shanon embodies this same creative and prophetic spirit.

 On this day, the 2 year anniversary of the Hildegarden's opening, a bronze sculpture is being dedicated out front.  It is a sculpture of a female shepherd, lovingly named "Rosa".  This sculpture is very meaningful to Shanon as an embodiment of the female shepherd - a term that refers to priests and pastors as shepherds of their flocks.  


I've realized I am so very blessed to be surrounded by strong and courageous female shepherds in my own life, and they have done so much to help form me into who I am today.

(yours truly pictured with "Rosa")

If I wanted to write about all the strong women I know and how they inspire me, I could be writing nonstop for days.  But a few in particular need to be acknowledged here, I think.  Dr. Shanon is one.  She has followed the Spirit's call into uncharted territory like her heroine St. Hildegard did nearly a millenium ago.  Another is my priest Mother Vanessa, who has taught me so much about how to lead and live with kindness, compassion and vulnerability in a world that sometimes makes me want to do just the opposite.  Of course the Sisters of Notre Dame that I work for would need an acknowledgement here, as they are the reason I went back to church at all, as well as my spiritual director Tina, whose presence in my life is a huge blessing.  

St. Hildegard is often remembered for the term she invented - viriditas - meaning "greening" or life-giving energy.  Since entering the Hildegarden, I've experienced an abundance of viriditas in my life.  Love is life-giving.  When you are loved well, by people who want to see you flourish as the person you were meant to be, the results are miraculous.  Dr. Shanon has helped to create a place like Hildegard envisions in the quote I opened this post with, where we can "take back our own listening" and see our own "living light".  The Hildegarden is a place to worship, sing, make art, have heartfelt conversations, meditate, educate, inspire, and grow.  I'm so proud to be on the board  that directs the Hildegarden and have it be part of my life.  I've had my creativity awakened and spiritual wounds healed.  


I'm incredibly lucky to have multiple places where I can feel such a sense of love and community.  I have my church, St James, that nurtures me, and all the other board members have a special parish home that they are a part of.  But we also have this unique place which is not a church, and yet it is a spiritual community.  It's special and unique, like Hildegard herself.  Hildegard saw God's presence in everything, and being so steeped in her charism is helping me do the same.  

"The fire has its flame and praises God.  The wind blows the flame and praises God.  In the voice we hear the word which praises God.  And the word, when heard, praises God.  So all of creation is a song of praise to God."

I feel like I could write so much more about Hildegard and how she has impacted so many lives even just in this little corner of Northeast Ohio, but I think I'll let you read more on your own if you care to do so.  You can visit the Hildegarden in person for an event, a prayer service or meditation, and you can read more about the center here.  Also, Dr. Shanon has written a book about her journey leading up to the opening of the Hildegarden so you can read more about it in her own words: An Enchanted Journey.

And hey, I'll probably end up writing more anyway, now that I have a blog. 😂

Comments

Popular Posts